Sunday, May 13, 2012

Shrinky-Dinks

What up girl
Just watching Spongebob. U?
I saw a 7 year old on a cell phone today. Well, I think he was 7. He could've been 8. At the very oldest he was a young looking 9 year old, but that's not really important. The point is he was on a freaking cell phone, and he was 7, or maybe 9. That seems way too young just to be walking around with a mobile device. I mean, who was he even talking to? Another 7 year old? Are there really that many first graders out there with cell phones, that would justify another first grader to want one? I guess all it takes, is for a couple of the cool kids to get one, and then everybody wants one. Hearing non-stop constant begging for a phone is enough for most parents to eventually cave, and go out and buy one. They can probably get a deal too. Some kind of family plan or something. It wouldn't cost that much.

There would still be some parents that would be opposed to it though. They would be like, " Well if everybody jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" I actually wouldn't recommend that technique. Jumping off bridges is kinda "IN" these days. It's called Parkour, and it's badass. If you don't know what Parkour is, it's getting from point A to point B in the coolest way possible. It's like if...... OK, let's say you're on the 9th story of a building, and you want to get to the 3rd story of the adjacent building. What do you do? Easy... You crash through the the 9th story window, and land on the fire escape. You then do a half gainer off the fire escape, and land on the balcony of the 5th story. Then you do a backflip through the air and do a barrel roll through the window of the 3rd story of the adjacent building. Voila....you made it. This is actually something that every 7 year old believes that they can actually do. They practice it everyday by jumping from couch to couch while playing, "Don't touch the ground, The ground is lava." That is if kids even play that anymore. They're probably too busy with their Playstation's, Xbox's, and Wi's.

 I didn't even have a Nintendo until Super Nintendo came out. I was always a console behind. Instead I hung out in the backyard, and played baseball with my imaginary baseball team. Go ahead and laugh, but we were undefeated that year. I didn't have the luxury of having 6 different electronic devices to keep me occupied. Instead my mom bought me Shrinky-dinks.... SHRINKY-DINKS. Looking back at it, it kind of pisses me off. However, at the time it was the most entertaining thing in the world. I sort of remember her bringing them home. I knew it was a toy, because of the brightly colored box. The exchange went something like this


Me: OOOHH!!! What is it? What is it?
Mom: Shrinky-Dinks
Me: What do they do?
Mom: You put them in the oven and they get smaller.
Me: Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember turning the oven light on, and watching those damn things shrink for hours. I was so excited. I ran downstairs to show my dad. " Look Daddy look", I screamed. " These used to be THIS big and now they're THIS big." You have to imagine me doing hand signals at this point. My dad acted like he wasn't impressed. Even though he was probably like, "Things that shrink in the oven. What the hell? That kid is spoiled. When I was his age, my toys were a shoebox and bits of string."

I guess every generation thinks that they had it a lot harder than the generation after them. It's pretty much true too. My parents had it worse than me. I'll admit it. I had several amenities, that didn't exist when they grew up. AOL, Cable television, Cd's, but still.... I didn't have a fucking cell phone when I was 7.


What the hell is AOL?


No comments:

Post a Comment